Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Goji Berry Muffin

Do you know what a Goji Berry is?  I had never heard of it until recently.  According to Wikipedia:  
Gojigoji berry or wolfberry is the fruit of Lycium barbarum (simplified Chinese宁夏枸杞traditional Chinese寧夏枸杞pinyinNíngxiàgǒuqǐ) and Lycium chinense (pinyingǒuqǐ), two closely related species of boxthorn in the Nightshade familySolanaceae. The family also includes the potatotomatoeggplantbelladonnachili pepper, and tobacco. The two species are native to Asia.[1]


I've only eaten them dried. They have a mild flavor somewhere between a raisin and a dried cherry.  They are quite chewy all by themselves.  I've started incorporating the berry into my granola, #Runergy bars, pancakes, and muffins.  They are brightly colored, and mixed with pistachios or pumpkin seeds remind me of Christmas.  

Below is my Goji Berry muffin recipe.  Enjoy!!

1/2 c all-natural applesauce
1/2 c raw, local honey
1/2 c canned coconut milk
1 ripe banana
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1-1/4 c rolled oats (I use Quaker old fashioned)
1/2 c raw cacao beans
1 c dried Goji berry

Put all of the wet ingredients in a large bowl.  Grind the oats and cacao beans.  Chop half of the Goji berries (optional).  Add all the dry to the wet.  Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.  

Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Enjoy!

Options:  Use chocolate chips instead of cacao beans.  Add 1 to 2 tsp Espresso powder.  Leave out the chocolate/cacao and add another fruit like blueberries or apples.  Go vegan by using Agave, add chopped raw nuts such as almonds, pistachios, or pumpkin seeds.  

Goji Berry Muffin

Goji Berry Muffin hot out of the oven.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits