Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Obstacles or Opportunities?

This morning I began my run about an hour and a half later than usual even though it was hot and humid outside because it is trash day.  No, I'm not averse to trash trucks or the people who work on them.  It's the bears.  You see, bears have been spotted in and around my neighborhood in the wee hours morning of trash day, the same time of day that I like to run.  Starting a run late is a big deal in Florida, in September, when the humidity is above 85%.  I chose to use the extra time to gett a little extra sleep and do my strength workout.    The bears presented an obstacle that I turned into an opportunity.  

What do you do when faced with an unplanned and immediate decision?  A roadblock or obstacle in your life?  I suppose it all depends on the circumstances.  Does it look like photo on the left or photo on the right?

Mt. Daedun - big obstacle


little pile of dirt - small obstacle


There are basically four things we can do when faced with obstacles, perceived or real.  We can stop and turn around, go around, go over it, or tear it down.

Stopping and turning around may look like giving up, however, it my be God's way of telling you that you are going the wrong way in the first place. Perhaps there is danger on the other side.  Perhaps you aren't supposed to go that way or do that thing now, or ever. 

If the obstacle is perceived as major, but easily dealt with, you might decide to simply go around.  It's not truly a roadblock, only a hindrance. 

I like to see things as opportunities.  In fact I had another opportunity on my run this morning.  While running around one of my favorite parks I came across this sign:




Instead of turning around, I went around the sign and ran up and over the 2.5-foot high pile of dirt and thought, "this looks like a fun training route".  In fact, I went back and forth several times during my sprint repeats.

If you are extremely adventurous and determined and certain of your path, you and I can turn the obstacle into an opportunity to tear down fears and boundaries.




I believe in shifting the paradigm!  Turn those obstacles into opportunities, each and every one of them.  I believe it so much I put it to use today.  On my way home while facing the two 'dreaded hills' that my brain usually whines, "I can't.  Must walk."  I was thinking about shifting the paradigms and saying to myself "obstacle or opportunity" over and over again I decided those dreaded hills were opportunities to change my thinking.  Those hills were opportunities to get stronger, mentally and physically  

Paul, in the book of Romans  (Romans 1:13writes that he desired to go to Rome but he was prevented, by God.  God had other plans for Paul and he recognized it.  Read also the following verses about obstacles and think about all of the ones that Jesus faced, especially when he was tempted by Satan.  What an obstacle that was!  Would have been for me. 


Matthew 17:20 ...Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move.Nothing will be impossible for you.”

Isaiah 57:14 14 And it will be said:
“Build up, build up, prepare the road!
    Remove the obstacles out of the way of my people.”

Matthew 4

Philippians 4:6  Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God,which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Shift the paradigm!  Turn your obstacles into OPPORTUNITY!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits