Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Monday, December 27, 2010

APC project

  Ah, Christmas has come and gone once again and it is time to get back to work.  Like a lot of writers, I have a full time job to pay the bills.  I also have a husband and children so obviously I do not have as much time to write as I would like  Sometimes while at work I stare at my computer and wish I didn't have to work. That wish was granted to me briefly earlier this year.  It was definitely a mixed blessing.  My hours were cut from 5 8-hour days to 4 8-hour days.  This gave me an entire day to myself and on the downside, 1 less day of pay.  Financially, it was not a good thing.  Personally, it was a great thing!
  My church supports and helps operate the Accept Pregnancy Center in Winter Garden, Florida.  One day a week they have classes for the women, which earns them shopping time in their small store filled with donated clothing and much needed diapers.  The center needed help one day a week. This was the same day of the week that I now had off.  I jumped at the chance to help. After a few hours at the center, I would then go sit in a park and fire up my laptop to write.
  Fast forward a few months. I'm back to working 5 days a week. My Sunday Bible Community (Sunday School) had begun making cards to send out to anyone either in the church or friends and family who needed encouragement or had something to celebrate.  We then learned that the Accept Pregnancy Center was having financial difficulties.  These are difficult times and donations are down everywhere.  We came up with the idea of making more cards and selling them to support the center.  The cards consist of drawings made by our children 6th grade and down.  Those pictures are scanned into a computer, Bible verses and words of encouragement are added and, viola! beautiful, personal greeting cards.

  This is an example of one of the cards. The inside has butterflies and a flower and reads "The Angels in heaven rejoice in your baptism"  So far, we have 11 designs, all of which can be customized to fit the needs of the recipient. 
  Interested in supporting this wonderful organization?  Like to learn more about the Accept Pregnancy Center?  Click on the link at the top of the page (http://www.acceptpregnancy.org) and also leave me a comment if you would like to order the cards.  They are $1.00 each or $8.00 for a box of 10 (envelopes included).

I hope everyone has a prosperous and joy-filled New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits