Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Gluten-free flatbread

When I was a little girl my mother made this salad called 3-bean salad.  I hated it.  She made it with garbanzo beans and two other beans, red beans and something else I cannot remember.  Ever since, the word garbanzo immediately elicited a YUK face.  Fast forward a whole lot of years and I've been experimenting with all kinds of foods and, surprise surprise, I started making hummus.  I like hummus and have developed several recipes.  A short time ago I came across a recipe for chickpea flatbread.  Hmmm, I thought, I wonder if I could do something with that?  Sure enough, I did something with that.  

It's pretty easy actually. Or it can be difficult.  All depends on how much time you want to put into it and the tools you have available.  

The basic recipe is  1:1 chickpea flour to water plus salt, garlic, and herbs of choice.  I've used parsley and a mix of oregano and basil.  

First, I ground the dried chickpeas.  Took forever in my little Ninja chopper, but worked well.  Recipe called for baking it on parchment paper.  Tried it.  The bread stuck.  Next, I tried it on a silicone mat, preheated with a non-stick spray.  Perfect.  Only problem was my oven wasn't level so I had to prop it up with pot holders.   The next batch, I took the chickpeas that hadn't been completely ground and soaked them in water approximately 1 cup to 1 cup ratio.  Let them soak for about an hour then added garlic, salt, oregano and basil.  This batch was a little thicker and easier to pour onto the silicone mat.  Yum.  

This is a great substitute for regular bread if you are glucose intolerant or allergic.  Haven't tried without the garlic but I'm sure I will be doing some more experimenting.

RECIPE:
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup water
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS parsley or oregano and basil
1/2 tsp salt

bake on Silicone mat 375 15 minutes or until edges turn brown.  (preheat the mat)


Chickpea flatbread

Closeup of chickpea flatbread

Bonus photo.  Runner medalian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits