Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Love is...

My second 1/2 marathon is on February 27th and I am not ready for it. I've had injuries and bad weather and, well not enough time.  This past Saturday I went out for my long run (a 12 mile circle around my neighborhood).  Usually on short runs I have a set playlist of music, however, on my long runs I simply set my music to 'all' and 'shuffle'.  I spend my 1 to 2 hours listening to mostly Christian rock music while my mind wanders.  Often, I pray the entire run.  When my son was in basic training, I prayed solely for him.  On this particularly run my mind wandered and ended up on this particular topic: Love is a verb. 

The phrase "Love is" is listed in the Bible (NIV 2010) eleven times, in the KJV five times. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 "love is" is defined even further:  4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.

The Bible is painting us a word picture of an action. Patience is an action, kindness is an action, rejoicing is an action.  Not one place in the Bible does it say that love is a feeling, love is butterflies in your stomach, a longing, or a desire.  Love is a brain thing, a conscious effort from within your heart to do good for others.  Love is not something that one falls in or out of. It is a decision, then once the decision is made, an action must follow.  Love is a verb. 

While I was running and contemplating these things, a God-thing happened.  The Petra song "I am available" began to play. The lyrics are as follows:  "I don't have much to offer you, I don't have much to give, There's so much that I may never be, As long as I may live. And I may never be all I want to be, Although I'll always try, But if you chose me, to use me, There's just one reason why, I am available, I am available, I will you when you say go, I am available, I am available, I will stop when you say no. ......."  The lyrics continue but the part that said "LOVE IS" to me is as follows:  "I know that my ability, Is not your main concern, It's my availability and willingness to learn." (http://www.mp3lyrics.org/p/petra/i-am-available/)

So, my conclusion at the end of my run, when my legs were screaming STOP was this:  Love is not only a verb but it is also being available, willing and ready to do whatever God wants you to do regardless of who you are. 

Here I am, Lord.  Use me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits