Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Writing, Running, and Cooking

Life is ever moving forward. Just try to stop it. Lately I've had so many things I want and need to do I'm like a toddler in a messy room, not knowing which toy to pick up first. I've been working on a new book for a few weeks now. It's at a point where I need to spend several hours at a time, without interruption, to keep the flow going. I'm just past the climax and am trying to figure out how to wrap it all up and where to stop.  The endings.  I hate writing endings. Hate, no, that's a strong word.  I just find it difficult so it takes a lot more effort.  Effort means time. I need more of it. As a distraction, and to try to inspire and help me with my writing I have been doing a lot of reading.  I read the book of Acts and am on the third chapter of the book of Romans.  I find I study the Bible a lot when I write, which is a good thing. Most of my writing has scripture and spiritual themes so it is necessary. I need to be in the Word more, so it is of great benefit.  I have also been researching dialogue tags and how not to over use them.  Guilty.  I have a lot of editing to do. I have another book that I began about a year ago with absolutely no dialogue.  Boy is that hard.  I've put it aside for now.

Then there's running. I'm getting frustrated by injury.  I had right IT band problems after my first half marathon last March.  Got over that in about 3 months.  Now I'm dealing with left IT band.  It's lingering. I have a muscle spasm that will not go away and it ticks me off.  I've been cross training and strengthening, stretching, ice, heat, you name it.  The one thing I know I need to do, I refuse to do.  That is rest. Yeah, right, me rest.  When? And I don't want to.  I have a 5K this Saturday and then on the 27th is the Disney Princess half marathon.  I'm so afraid I will be walking it. If you really think about it, I'm pretty silly. A lot of people pray that they will be able to walk the half marathon and here I am praying I won't have to. I should be grateful that I can walk. Period.

As a runner and a Mom I'm into healthy eating.  I'm all for doing things in moderation but there are some definite NOs for me.  No fast food. Period. I don't eat sugar or sodas several days before races. This is especially important since I am borderline hypoglycemic.  I'm always on the hunt for healthier protein bars instead of the store bought ones.  My daughter thinks I should take a sandwich with me on my long runs.  Silly girl. I can barely chew and swallow a raisin while running. In any event I was looking for a recipe for either healthy protein bars or granola bars and came across a terrific recipe.  The recipe I used is as below, however, the original was from www.joyfulabode.com.  These bars got the stamp of approval from my daughter and husband, which is very big deal!

2 cups oats
2 TB milled flax seed
3/4 c raw sunflower seeds
1 c crushed raw peanuts

Toast lightly 10-12 minutes

2/3 c (-1 tsp or so) brown sugar
4 TBS Agave nectar
4 TBS butter, unsalted
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt

8 oz dried fruit, rinsed  (add to mixture later)

Simmer almost to a boil in large pot.  Stir constantly.  Do this while the oats mixture is toasting.
Line a 9 x 13 glass dish with wax paper.  Spray with Pam.  Put oats mixture and fruit into pot with sugars. Mix well.  Put into glass dish, cover top with the wax paper. Compact well.  Put something heavy on it.  Let cool for 2-3 hours or put into freezer until hardened. Cut into bars. Mine made 16. Calories are approximately 230.  You can vary the fruit and nuts.  I used cranberries and raisins for the first batch.  Will use walnuts with apricots next time.  To up the protein add a little protein powder. Refrigerate or freeze.  Will keep up to 2 weeks but I'll bet they are eaten before then!!

Hope you enjoy the recipe.  Where has time gone?  Did I mention I have a full time job, too?  Back to it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits