Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

I absolutely love chocolate chip cookies!  Who doesn't?  Well, people with dairy allergies like me think they/we cannot safely eat them.  We are wrong.  At my grocery store I found dairy-free chocolate chips. As always, I found a way to make dairy-free cookies.   This recipe is loosely based on Nestle's cookie recipe. 

Ingredients:
2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetend, natural apple sauce
3/4 c sugar in the raw (puree in food processor for a fine grain)
3/4 c packed brown sugar (or Agave nectar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 package of dairy-free chocolate chips

Step 1:
Mix sugars, vanilla, apple sauce, and eggs, add remaining ingredients.
Step 2:
Spray 2 cake rounds with cooking spray, pour mixture in, divide evenly.  Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes.  If your oven seems too hot, to prevent burning, turn it down to 300 and cook longer.  It's done with the top is brown and feels firm to the touch. 
Step 3:
Invert out of the pans and cool.

Dairy-free ganache:
This recipe is very loose, meaning you don't have to be exact.  Here's what I did on the last cake:
2.5 squares Baker's semisweet chocolate
1 c dairy-free chips (same ones as above)
3 Tbs coconut milk

Take a 2-quart pan fill 1/3 with water.  Set a glass oven-safe bowl on top.  It should not fit inside, rather rest on the edges.  Turn burner to medium high.  Melt the chocolate in the double boiler (the contraption above).  Use a rubber spatula to stir frequently.  Add the coconut milk a little at a time.  More milk makes it runny, less very thick. Play with it until you get the consistency you like.  The ganache should be hot but not boiling!


bottom layer of chocolate chip cookie cake

Spread ganache over bottom layer.

Finished chocolate chip cookie cake


The rest goes on top.  Let cool. Dig in. 

OPTIONAL FILLING:

1 cup peanut butter, any kind
1/2 cup dairy-free margarine or soy butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 Tbs almond milk

In mixer, mix until smooth and creamy.  Pile onto bottom layer of cake with spatula, spread evenly.



For cookies, spoon onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, cook 3-5 minutes then flatten with a greased spatula.  Cook another 5 minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits