Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Dairy-free bread recipe

I love to bake.  The first thing I remember baking was a batch of Snickerdoodle cookies for my Grandpa's birthday. They were his favorite.  Over the years I have learned to "tweak" recipes to my own liking out of the fun of it and because of my dairy allergy.  I'm also a runner so even though I have a huge sweet tooth, I like to know what I'm eating and prefer home-made to store bought.  I bought a bread maker a few years ago and quickly wore it out.  That didn't stop me.  I simply use the recipe manual as a "guide" and mix the ingredients in my Kitchen-Aid mixer.  

Because of my dairy allergy, I've been playing around with bread recipes and have found one that I really like.  Here are two. The Oatmeal bread is below:

1 cup + 3 Tbs coconut milk, room temperature
2 Tbs coconut oil
3 Tbs molasses
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
3-1/4 cups Whole Wheat flour   

Put the ingredients in a mixer in order listed above.  Wet ingredients need to be warm (80 degrees F).  Let sit for 5 or 10 minutes then mix well, approximately 5 minutes. If you don't have a mixer with a dough hook, mix and knead by hand until well incorporated.  Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm area for 30 minutes to an hour until dough has about doubled.  (I turn the oven on to lowest setting when I start, then turn it off, put the mixer in the oven with door vented.)  Mix again for another minute (or knead by hand) i.e. punch down the dough.  Roll it by hand (shape), not on the counter, in your hands like playdough. If the dough sticks to your hands, spray them with cooking spray. Transfer dough into greased bread pan or baking sheet.  Let sit for another hour, this time on the counter is fine unless your house is cooler than 78 degrees.  In that case, a sunny window sill or the oven will work.  Take your time, let the dough rise.  Bake at 350 for at least 30 minutes.  I usually start with a cold oven, seems to give the yeast a little boost.   Bread is finished when thumping on the top sounds hollow. 

The pictures below are the loaf made today:







Oatmeal bread:
1-1/2 c warm water (80F)
2 TBS honey (raw, local)
2.5 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 TBS olive oil
1 cup ground oats
2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Directions:  Place the water in a mixer.  Add the honey and dissolve.  Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let rest for 10 minutes.  Add salt and olive oil.  Mix lightly.  Add oats and flour.  Turn on the mixer and mix well.  Cover and let rest one hour.  Prepare your baking dish by spraying with cooking spray.  For round buns use small ceramic bowls.  You can use traditional bread pans and even free form.  Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes for small loaves or rounds, 30-35 for large loaf pan.

Whole Wheat Oatmeal bread



Do you know how many times the word "yeast" is used in the Bible?  I counted 57. (www.Biblegateway.com).

Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits