Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

HONEY ENERGY BITES

I concocted this recipe a few weeks ago because energy gels were making me gag and cough.  Two or more made me nauseous.  I am training for a marathon, again, so I needed on the go nutrition.  I started with one per run with a gel then gradually increased the homemade energy and eliminated the gels.  My last run, I ate two bites (twice the size of the ones pictured) and no gels!  I had plenty of energy and no upset stomach.  Woo Hoo!  

Here is the recipe:

1 cup local, unprocessed honey
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups Quaker, old fashioned oats.  Puree 1 cup
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup chopped, dairy-free dark chocolate chips.  (I use Enjoy Life brand)


Add ingredients in order listed, stirring well after each.


Spoon a teaspoon-sized portion onto parchment sprayed with cooking Spray

Bake honey energy bites 5 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Cool well then freeze in air-tight container.

As an energy bar during exercise over one hour, eat two every 45-60 minutes.  Start with one to make sure it does not upset your stomach - especially if you are not used to eating real food during a work out.

There are only approximately 34 calories per bite.  To increase the calories, add finely chopped raw almonds (buy in bulk and puree in food chopper yourself), dried fruit, or add more chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits