Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Recipe for a fear-less day

I have a very full to-do list today  I'm not doing it.  Why?  Because there is this 'THING' looming over me that makes me very afraid.  Paniky even.  I know about fear.  I know about worry.  I know what the Bible says about both.  Did you know, "Be strong and courageous" is in the Bible 365 times?  That's one for every day.  I need it today and tomorrow, and all week in fact.  Here's another:  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:6-7.  

That's all well and good, but right now fear is paralyzing me.  I want to crawl under a rock and cry.  You see, Thursday I'm getting on an airplane - by myself- and flying to Phoenix, AZ for a conference.  Thousands of happy, rah rah women packed in a giant room.  I won't be alone but I sure will feel alone.  I'm bringing my running shoes in case I need to bolt.  

It wouldn't be so bad if my husband were coming.  It wouldn't be so bad if I was not concerned about my son's test results.  It wouldn't be so bad if my daughter wasn't moving out next month. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a birthday coming up.  One of those, "wow you're old" ones.

You may say, "So don't go."  

I have to.  

"Why?", you ask.  

Because it terrifies me, that's why.

If I sat here at my desk all day and didn't do the things that terrified me I would whither and die.  I wouldn't be useful to God, my husband, or my family.  I would never have traveled to S. Korea and climbed a mountain and a volcano.  I would never have run a marathon or three.  I would never have left a toxic marriage and found a man I love so much it hurts to be away from him for four days in Phoenix.  I could go on, but right now, I'm trying to talk myself out of the fear the looms ahead.

So, I bake.  I bake because it gives me something to do that doesn't take too much brain power. I bake because I need to take food with me when I travel because of my allergy.  I bake because I can do it while listening to music at full blast.  That relaxes me.  (Oh, don't worry, I already did my run today.  That was relaxing, too, even though it was 90 degrees and 100% humidity).  

Here is what I baked today:

Whole wheat and oat bread. The recipe is on another post.

Zucchini and blueberry muffins:

3 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup all natural applesauce
1 cup unprocessed, local honey
1 large zucchini, grated. (i put mine in the food processor)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries, frozen(thawed) or fresh
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup Quaker oats, old fashioned, ground fine
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped raw almonds
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease mini loaf pans or large muffin tins. Mix in order of recipe, wet then dry.  Let sit for a few minutes.  Bake for about 25-30 minutes.  Don't over bake or they will dry out.  Take out of tins quickly. The blueberries will stick if you wait too long.  

Refrigerate when cool.  These can be frozen, wrapped individually.


Zuchhini/blueberry muffins

Dairy-free and delicious

I ate this one. It was really good.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?  Matthew 6:25-27

Deuteronomy 31:The Lord will deliver them to you, and you must do to them all that I have commanded you. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Then Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the presence of all Israel, “Be strong and courageous, for you must go with this people into the land that the Lord swore to their ancestors to give them, and you must divide it among them as their inheritance.

God tells his people over and over again in the New Testament - be strong and courageous.  If they can. I can, too.

After posting this, a friend posted Philippians 4:6 on Facebook.  God knows what I needed to hear.  






3 comments:

  1. these sound amazing! I love that you said you are packing your running shoes...that is a long run home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an advocate for facing fears Colleen so I enjoyed your story - and the yummy recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you're facing your fear and you're sharing that with us. it takes strength to do that thanks for sharing✈

    ReplyDelete

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits