Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lessons Learned from Summer Camp, 2nd excerpt

Second excerpt:


“One day a friend from my old high school invited me to a party.  I was never invited to parties.  I had nothing better to do, was feeling a bit special for being accepted into my new high school, so I went.  I met Jack at this party.  Jack was not from my old high school, or my new one.   No one knew him at this party.  He was confident, cocky, and very good-looking, and he wanted my phone number.  I was spending the night with my friend so I gave him hers.  To my surprise, he called that very night.  We talked for a little while, then I gave him my number.  The next day he called me.  Again, I was surprised.  He wanted to see me.  Now.  I said, ok.  Was he pushy, or did he really like me?  I didn’t stop to think about it, a boy was paying attention to me again, who could think of such things.

“I heard his truck coming long before I could see it.  Just like Jack, wanting attention, announcing his arrival.  His truck was loud in other ways, too, it was orange.  Jack hopped out of his truck, strutted over to me, and all intelligent life left my brain.  I was ‘in love’ once again.  For the next week or so we talked on the phone for hours.   He came over to my house after school and we would talk.  If mother wasn’t looking we made out.  He was a nice guy, easy to talk to, polite to my mother.  I had a boyfriend.  I was happy.”

“How romantic,” signed Jen.

“Shh,” hissed the other girls.

“One week-end he took me to his house to meet his family and some of his friends.  Little did I know it then, but a very different dating pattern was about to be established.  My life was about to change.  At 16 I knew practically nothing about boys and dating.  Dating was going to the football game.  Dating was going to the dance after the football game.  Dating was holding hands in the hallway, sneaking a kiss at the locker.  Dating according to the boy from California was fondling in the pool or oral sex at his apartment.  I didn’t know what to expect with this one.  He was in high school.  He lived with his parents.  My mother met him, seemed to like him.  She didn’t give me any instructions that stuck with me more than the two seconds it takes to pass through a teenager’s brain.

“I went with him that early Saturday morning, happy to be on the arm of a handsome young man.  I was giddy with anticipation of being shown off as Jack’s girlfriend.  Oblivious to the world around me.  We hopped in his loud truck and sped away.  He liked to gun the engine, make it roar.  It was an exciting time.  We went first to his house where I met his family.  They were nice to me, but his parents smoked, a lot, and they yelled at each other.  I got used to them after a while.  We then went to Jack’s friend’s house.  Jack and his friend cracked open beer cans, offering me one.  I declined.  A few minutes later, the friend left.  Jack and I being alone, we did what lots of teens do in that situation, made out.  We moved to the bedroom.  Jack asked me if I was a virgin.  I said I was. Well, technically I was since I had not had intercourse, right?  Unlike boy #1, Jack said, ‘I’ll be easy I promise.  It’ll only hurt a little.’  Seeing my trepidation he added, ‘Don’t worry, I can’t get you pregnant, I’m impotent.’  He proceeded to strip and plop onto the bed, stark naked.”  The girls gasped.  Some giggled.  “My 16-year-old brain turned to mush.  I had never seen a fully naked boy before (boy #1 stayed dressed from the waist down).  After sizing up the situation,” more giggles and loud laughs from Eva and Sabrina. “I began to get undressed, with Jack’s help and encouragement.  Jack was very gentle, obviously very experienced.  Once again, I liked it.  A lot.  A little too much.  The penis was my new best friend.  I was infatuated with it.  I was no longer a virgin and I couldn’t be happier.  I had a boyfriend and a lover.  He thought I was beautiful and he made me feel good, very good.  What more could a girl ask for?”

Many of the girls gasped in shock at hearing the ‘P’ word. They hadn’t heard it used to matter-of-factly, especially by an adult.  One or two didn’t flinch, seemed to almost not in agreement.  Angel noted that those girls were the ones she most needed to reach. 

“Weren’t you afraid your mother would find out?” asked one of the girls.

“Hush let her tell the story.”

“This is how it went for the next few months.  Jack and I would talk every day after school.  Saturday morning he would come get me and take me to his house.  If his parents were home we would sit or lay on the cough and watch TV.  Jack’s house had cable TV.  That was so cool since we didn’t even have a TV.  When the house was empty we would go to Jack’s room and have sex.  At 10 pm Jack would take me home.  Sunday after church, Jack would pick me up and take me to his house where we would eat lunch with his parents.  When they were gone, we would have sex.  After a while, Jack told them we were going to watch TV in his room because the cigarette smoke bothered me.  That much was true enough.  They said okay but leave the door open.  That didn’t stop us.  We went in his room, turned up the TV, turned off the lights, and you guessed it, had sex.

“One week-end, some months later, I was home alone.  Jack was busy with his family or something.  Suddenly I got a really bad stomach ache.  I thought maybe I had food poisoning or something because it felt like gassy cramps, low in the pelvis.  Either that or really bad menstrual cramps, which I usually never got.  Suddenly I felt like I was about to have a bout of diarrhea so I ran to the bathroom.  It was not diarrhea.  I looked into the toilet and saw a small, bloody mass with a dark red dot.  I had just had a miscarriage.  How I know that it was a miscarriage, I do not know, but I did.  I didn’t even know I was pregnant.  I was never very good at keeping track of my cycles. What was I to do?  Being 16, naïve, and in love, I did nothing. I flushed to toilet and walked away.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits