Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Squirrels, Deer, and Flashers

My favorite place of all time to run is in a state park near my home.  It has running trails, canoes, horse trails, campgrounds, and a natural spring for swimming. This particular park holds a very special place in my heart.  My husband and I had our second date at this park, our first kiss, and it's also where he proposed:


The saplings were not there the first time we stopped under this tree, however, I've taken at least one picture of it every year. 








This morning I really wanted to run the trails.  It had been so incredibly hot on my street runs.  The trails I knew would be cooler.  


My husband has pretty bad shin splints so he hasn't run with me very often.  Therefore, I suggested he come with me, bring a chair and a book and if he got hot he could get in the spring.


We arrived at the park at 7 a.m.  The gate was open but no one was at the guard station, so we got in for free.

There were a few cars in the parking lot, two runners either warming up or cooling down and squirrels.  Lots and lots of squirrels scurrying about.  No exaggeration, there must have been a hundred.   I warm up and start my run and every few minutes run into spider webs.  Ewww.  I'm watching the ground to keep from tripping and I see lots of little footprints. Several miles later I see the owner of the footprints:


See in the center of the picture.  It's a doe.  I wish I had a real camera with me instead of my phone.  I stopped and looked at her, she at me.  I took a picture.  She didn't move.  I took another. She still didn't move.  We stared for a few seconds then I said good-bye.




























A mile or so later I see three more.  I tried to crop this one as far as I could but you can barely see them.  There are actually three young does.  I snap a picture and they just stand there.  Not afraid of people these deer.  Usually I see turkey, but not today.




























Several miles later, after I pass my "special tree" I see the two men from the parking lot.  The are each facing away from the trail.  As I approach I put my head down, shade my eyes and say "I'm not looking!"   as they stand there and continue to pee while I pass by.  Gross.  No picture! : ) 


Finally on the home stretch a passel of high school runners pass me as they start their run.  I was very glad I had started so early.  


Ah, another run, another story, another amazing Gift from God.  What a glorious day!  


"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."  Psalm 118: 24




Oh, and just for fun, Oliver:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits