Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Homeless Interviews #10

When I was younger, I always thought the homeless were men. Alcohol and drug-addicted men. Women who were homeless were 'prostitutes'.  That is so far from the truth that I am ashamed I thought that way.  There are many homeless women who are in very similar predicaments as the men. The ones I met were mothers, wives, orphans. Today's interview is with "Debi", a 29-year-old young black woman.  (keep in mind the opinions expressed here are hers based on her experiences)

*** Debi, tell me about where you were born and about your parents.
I grew up in foster homes.  I was born in Jamaica, Queens (New York). My mother was a drug addict.  She had me when she was 15 years old.  I got 12 sisters and brothers.  They ended up all in foster care.  I bounced from home to home in the system for a long while.  When I turned 18 there was no help, they offered me no help.  So that's how I ended up on the streets.  So when I turned 27 I came to Florida.  

*** What brought you to Florida?
The weather.  Just the weather.  I had jobs off and on but I have no real education.  

*** What school did you go to?
Public school, PS 176.  

*** Did you graduate from high school?
No.

*** How far did you get?
To like maybe 10th grade.  Like, I had no problems getting jobs.  Luckily I have no criminal record, but when you do get jobs they do not keep you long.  So you are kind of like living paycheck to paycheck. 

*** So, not having a high school diploma has held you back from getting a steady job?
Exactly.

*** Do you have any contact with your brothers or sisters?
No. I seen them like maybe 2 Christmases ago.  

*** Did you make any connections with any of the foster families you were living with?
No.  Most of the foster homes...it's like foster homes...if you are lucky enough to end up in a foster home with someone who wants to adopt you or care that is rare because a lot of people there it is like a business.  They are in it for the money.  They get paid to keep you in their house.  Sometimes you get lucky.  Sometimes you get... find a family who wants to help you and sometimes you don't.  Everything is for a reason.  I'm not bitter.  I'm not sad.  I'm not making up excuses.  I could have got a better education but I didn't.  You know I learned that life is something that you make.  

*** When you were in school were you with a family the whole time?
Growing up I was very bitter, angry. Even though I knew I should stay in school, being angry I was mad at the world, you know.  I didn't get the attention that I needed or wanted.  I wasn't loved like I wanted to be loved.  So I grew up...the streets became my life, being around the wrong people.   The streets showed me love more than the foster care system did so I paid more attention to the streets than what the social workers or the foster parents are telling me.  You know, I started hanging out with gang activities, selling weed off and on.  You know, just to survive or whatever and things like that.  Luckily I never ended up in jail.  

*** Did any of the foster families take you to church?
Um,... I grew up...not much Christian energy there.  When I did get in a Christianity home....by the time I got into a Christianity home it was like I didn't even want to be there, I didn't care.  So, no.  I could go to church but I said no.  But a lot of them they just didn't care.  

*** How did you first find out about (the shelter here).
Uh, I don't know.  I was walking one day and I seen a sign  on a ditch and an arrow was pointed to it and I started walking that way and  I came and I heard people talking about this was a program to help the homeless and take a shower.   And I said, a shower! I need a shower.  That's how I found out, so it was by accident that I found out.

(I've said it before and I'll say it again.  God does nothing by accident!)

I'm not on drugs. I'm not a crack head.  I never did drugs.  I sold weed, but drugs is never my thing.  I don't have no alcoholic problem.  Not everybody on the streets is on drugs.  You know, but you do get those that do the crack head and whatever and they make it seem like every homeless person gotta be this bad person or they on the streets because they do drugs and they rob and steal. Certain circumstances make you end up like on the streets.  It was really hard for me because all the programs, they have programs out there that can help you but they help the ones on drugs, or some type of abuse problems, but you don't have no type of abuse problems you are kinda like by yourself.  You try to do it like on your own.  




(STAY TUNED FOR PART 2 OF DEBI)

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing work! Thank you. I teach high risk high school students in my real life - I would have much to learn from reading your work. The Holy Spirit walks in front of me every day. Sylvia Smith, http://sylviasmith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits