Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Homeless Interviews #11

Today's post is a continuation of Debi's interview:


*** Do you have a job now?
No.  I lost my job 6 months ago.  I was housecleaning.  They had to let some people go and I was one of the ones let go.  


*** Do you have goals?  Things you would like to do?
Right now I'm just trying to get a better education, learn how to read better.  My reading is only a 5th grade level and get my math.  I have to get my math up really.  


*** So you need help to learn to read.
Yes.


*** My next question is looking back what would you do differently? 
I probably would've stayed in school.  It probably would have made things more easier for me.  They have programs in the shelter to help you get a GED for free.  They have like this on-line programs to have college on line, to help you out with school and stuff like that.  I just found that out yesterday.  So I'm looking onto that.  


*** Tell me about a typical day in the life of you.
Um....Basically trying to look for work. Try to keep and find a place to sleep.  They don't allow you to sleep out in the streets.  Abandoned houses sometimes, go behind buildings and hope the cops don't come by.  The hardest thing to do in the streets is stay asleep because they have programs to feed you but its just finding somewhere to rest and wash up and stuff like that.  That's the hardest thing to do out here.


*** Do you have a group of people that you know that you can be with?
The key to being homeless, don't hang out with a group.  That's it.  If a group do something then you are going down with them. If somebody in your group is wanted, just by being associated with them you are going to jail.  Guilty by association.  It's kinda like hard because being a female out here being by yourself you gotta worry that somebody might attack you.  You think that by being in a group it would be safe because you are a female but you find out that is worse.  So you just gotta pray to God that nothing happens to you.  And have faith and stick to yourself.  There is a lot of people out there.  There is not just a category of people that is homeless.  A lot of people think, you been in jail is the homeless.  There are all types of homeless people. A lot of reasons why people are homeless.  Not just one reason.  You got people who families got kicked out of their house, or loss of jobs, or people on drugs. You know there are so many reasons out there.  The cops if you are homeless are not your friends.   They feel like if you are not paying taxes or live in a special neighborhood then they do not like have to protect you, you are not part of a community.  So, they, you are going to find some cops out there that are butt-holes.  I'm not saying I hate the police, that's not what I'm saying. But you got some of them out there that will harass you just because you are homeless.  


(Debi tells me a story where a man attacked her and she went to the police.  She says the policeman was very helpful until she told him she was homeless and then she says she was taken to the station and given a big 'runaround'.  She also tells of instances where she was on the city bus with a backpack on and the bus driver called the police and instances of being treated differently in stores just because she was carrying a backpack.) 


It messes with you (mentally) but you have to be strong. Keep the faith and try to get off the streets.  It's not a joke out there.  It is not a game.   (She tells of seeing homeless women and children being kidnapped for drug-trafficking.) I've seen it.  I've been lucky enough to recognize the signs.  (to not get approached)


*** Do you see a lot of women who are homeless turn to prostitution?
Yes.  A lot.  Especially the ones on drugs. A lot.  


*** Do you consider your situation your fault, society's fault, do you lay blame somewhere?
When I was younger I used to blame the world.  But as I got older I got wiser.  Spiritually, it is the devil's fault.  So, no.  I mean, yes, the devil, not the world.  


*** Do you have any plans, things you want to accomplish?
Yes, after I learn how to read better, get a little more knowledge I want to be a message therapist.  Something that's not so mentally challenging. When it comes to books I'm not that strong.   Get an education.  Take it one day a time.  


*** Is there anything you would like to add?  Anything you would like people to know?
Not all homeless people are bad.  Not all people are homeless because they did something wrong.  Raise your kids right.  Foster kids, a lot of people are homeless because they were not raised right or was not taught right.  They was not taught values.  America has gotten away from their values.  They took Bibles, took Christianity out of school which is why America is falling now.  So raise your kids right. Right now you got kids raising kids. That's not knowledge.  The Bible tells you knowledge is power.  Without knowledge you have no power. So raise your kids right and you don't have to be afraid of homelessness or homeless people.  Or you don't have to be afraid of the government.  It starts in the womb.    God is the answer. 




(A lot of wisdom from a "homeless" person, don't you think?) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits