Why the blog?

I write as the Spirit moves me. I have prayed about what I'm supposed to do with my life a lot. A lot. Writing. Writing is what I believe God is leading me to do. Whether or not He wants me to write for anyone to read is His business. Much of my writing has been therapy for me so maybe I'm the only one who is supposed to read it. So, why the Blog? As a sounding board, a note pad, a place to keep my ideas and thoughts. A place to share and promote my books, and photography. Written prayers, a place to vent. Possibly, even a place for the unknown reader to learn about the love of Jesus.

Monday, August 1, 2011

The Homeless Interviews #14

If one were to take a slice of any population you would find people of high intelligence and low intelligence, people with mental illness and those without.  The same can be said for the homeless population. Case in point, Carl and now "Fred".  Fred, to me is pretty much the polar opposite of Carl.  The only thing they have in common is their homelessness.

 
*** Tell me about your childhood. 
I was born in Tambohol New York, upstate NY somewhere.  I think. I'm not sure. That was 39 years ago.  I don't remember where that was. My parents, they were alright.  Right now I'm just trying to get to see my mom.  She is up in Virginia.  I don't care where my dad is.  Me and him ain't gettin along, so...  
 
*** What was life like when you were little?
Working all the time. Doing everything, you know.  We kept moving around.  I had to quit school because I was working.  That was back in 1988.  I moved here in '95, to Florida. And since then I've been on my own. 

*** Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Yeah. They are all in Virginia.  Other than that, that's my life. In a nut shell.   

*** What did you/do you do for work?
I was pulling telephone cable.  Now I'm doing construction.  I was working in a bar doing security.  I do everything.   Maintainence, pressure washing, everything.  So. That's everything. But right now I am working three jobs. 7 days a week.  

*** Where do you live now?
On the street. 

*** How old were you when you started living on the streets?
Around 37  or  38.  ( can you tell me how it happened) I don't remember how it happened.   I was working at Disney then I hurt my shoulder there. I got fired from there.   Then, I went home one night and my aunt told me to get out.  I was staying with my aunt for a little while.  Since then I ain't talked to them.  I went in the woods.  Laid  where I could.  Since then I've been homeless.  That's been about it.  

*** Do see a future with you getting off the streets?
Nah.  I ain't goin to get off the streets. It saves me money that way. I ain't got no light bill. I got no rent.  I got nothing.   

*** So, you have job, you have income... Are you content, happy?
Pretty much. Yeah.  

*** Do you feel safe where you are living?
Oh yeah.  See I remodel houses for these guys.  I got two of them that works with me that stays there with me.  Other than that...

*** So you live with a group?
Yeah. A few other people.  Other than that, that's it.  

( I didn't need to ask him about church because Robert attends my church.  I see him pretty much every time I am there. He comes early, helps out with events. If he doesn't come, someone goes to look for him.)

*** What are the guys like that you live with?
They alright.  I work with them every day.  

*** How did you get involved ( with the shelter)? I had to stay outside. I was homeless so I just come up here one day. The people, the volunteeers here, they came around and invited me over to church and I been doin it ever since.  I don't know why, but I do.  Now I can't leave it. I love it.  (he laughs) I was going up in N. Carolina. I was going to church of God for a little while (in a city a little ways a way). But it was far and hard to get a ride every morning.   When I was working at the bar here I was still coming to church but I wasn't getting off work until 4 in the morning. I don't know how I made it to church.  (he laughs) but I done it. 

*** You are the first I've talked to who does not want to get out of the woods.  Are there others or is it just you? 

Just me.  That I know of. I can't afford rent. I cannot afford this, I cannot afford that.  The three jobs are kinda the same.  I help out. You get 20$ here, 20$ there.  That's
Not enough to do nothing with.

*** So if you were making enough?
Yeah if I was making enough I'd have my own place right now.  

*** It's not that you don't want to, it's you cannot afford it.
Uh huh.  Right now we been staying in houses we been remodeling, with no water and all that.  Out of the woods.  To see what it's like to have a home.  

*** What do you do when it's rainy or really cold?
Cover up with about 50 blankets.  Try to stay out of the rain.   

*** Tell me about a typical day. 
Work.  I work 7 days a week.  Other than that.  It's just like a typical day of the week. I gets me by. 

*** What do you think about the future? Do you think about it at all?
No.  When the time comes it comes.  I don't know where I'll be the next day. I might be out of town working.   I don't think like that. I don't think ahead cause normally it don't come true.  But other than that, It don't bother me much.   

*** Do you see a lot of drug and alcohol abuse of guys in the woods?
Oh yeah.  Yep I sure do. 

*** Do you think they, including yourself, are there because of it?
Probably got something to do with it.  I can't stop drinking.  I'm thinking about a beer right now.   

*** Do you consider yourself an alcoholic?
Yeah.  I sure would.  

*** Do you think if you weren't drinking things would be different?
Nope. It's just the way I got my mind set.  Normally you put something to your mind you do it. 

*** How do you think the homeless are treated?
Not real good. I mean I ain't treated that good.  I mean if it weren't for this place I'd have no place at all. They help out with stuff you need, you know.   

*** Do you get bothered by the police much?
No not really.  The only time we really got bothered with them is when they were kicking us, all of us out.  That about the only time.  Or if you're doing something wrong.  

*** Do you ever get robbed or gotten attacked?
No I don't worry too much with that.  I don't play games.  What's mine is mine.  We all watch out for each other.  It's a little community type.  But other than that.... 

*** Is there anything you would like to tell people?
Not really.  Just tell them to keep what they got. If you got a house, keep it.  You know, don't overdo it.  If you're doin drugs, quit.  Go to church.   If your homeless, come up here.  

 (A few weeks after this interview Fred has himself committed to a mental hospital for 72 hour observation because of his alcohol addition. He struggles every day, however, he knows who to turn to for help.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colleen Wait Edits

Colleen Wait Edits